You see, there is a cow. I know, in itself, not an entirely interesting or intriguing subject. But, here lies the mystery. He is the only cow in the field. The only one. And in a field with no fences. How does he know to stay in that field? Why doesn't he go and see if the grass is greener on the other side of the road? I certainly would if i were a cow. Or maybe she's a he. Maybe it's a steer. Perhaps his steering is off and he can only stay in the one field. But nonetheless, he seems well... lonely. I have had a couple of urges to run out there and pet him/her, but alas, i am a little afraid of the creature.
I have posed the question of this cow to several of my learned and revered acquaintances, and have been graced with such suggestions as this.
- He's white. Perhaps they lost him in the snow.
- Maybe he's a guard cow, fending off intruders.
- Maybe the farmer lost him.
- Maybe he simply doesn't like his barnmates and prefers to be outside.
- Perhaps the rest of the cows have been eaten and he's the last one to go.
None of these suggestions holds the entire truth, i am certain. Perhaps elements of the truth maybe. But I suppose i shall never know, being as i am a little leery of approaching the farmers who presumably own this cow. Carina and I have had significant discussions over the years about this farm and are convinced that affairs unlawful and nefarious are being conducted on this farmer's property, most likely marijuana production or some other illegal activity. There seem to be so many odd ramshackle buildings and abandoned equipment lying scattered about, back roads to "get away" on and no neighbours, except the cows. So I suppose the "cow in the field" will remain my source of wondering and stimulating my brain to coming up with new and fresh ideas each day about his situation.

3 comments:
do you think we could put out a line of little hay blocks that will eventually encourage the big, beautiful, beefy, bovine to make our freezer its domicile? Same temp. as outside...
Realize this, Anonymous - before he makes it to the freezer, he's going to have to encounter you with an axe or a chainsaw or something, and that sounds like a bloody proposal to me. I don't think your freezer is big enough for an intact cow...
Besides the whole idea is a little sadistic, isn't it? I prefer to see him cavorting around the field enjoying his freedom, although i'm a little worried that his freedom will get away with him and i'll find him on the road in front of my car one day!
Post a Comment